[TUHS] And now ... Weirdnix?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Sep 19 09:57:56 AEST 2017

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:

> And now, we bring the RMS/Gnu thread to a close :-)

But it was fun while it lasted :-)  I learned a bit.

> To kick a more relevant thread off, what was the "weirdest" Unix system
> you used & why? Could be an emulation like Eunice, could be the hardware
> e.g NULL was not zero, NUXI byte ordering etc.

Eunice for certain.  Never seen NULL != 0, but didn't the Interdata boxes
have the NUXI problem?

And one of the UNSW departments had this 11/34 clone, where the two disk
packs (one removable) had a common spindle...  I think that was also the
box where the clock had to be enabled/disabled by a front-panel switch, so
you disabled it, booted Unix, then hopefully remembered to enable it.

Oh, and if it extends to organic-ware, the UNSW Library's 11/40 had no
password on "root", but had one on "oper"...