[TUHS] Another "craft" discussion topic - mindless tool proliferation

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Sep 20 11:22:03 AEST 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 06:13:40PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 06:09:27PM -0700, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> >
> > > On Sep 19, 2017, at 6:02 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Put it on the web and move on.
> >
> > My main gripe about that is that I can't read the web when the router I'm trying to install won't work, keeping me from the needed web documentation ...
> >
> > *Please* write your documentation in a way that allows you to generate (useful, readable!) PDF documents that I can download for offline viewing.  Believe it or not, I don't haul along a 300 mile cat-5 cable when I go sailing.  I still like to write code on the boat.  So much for Go :-P
> >
> > And $GOD help everyone in the Caribbean trying to bootstrap their infrastructure right now.  How is your https://... documentation going to help them out?
>
> Dude, you are talking to the guy who wrote webroff, a tool that takes -ms
> markup and puts on the web.  Our website was done in webroff for years and
> you could take all the source and produce a pdf.

Here's an example:

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/bkdocs/UG/

is the source, you can look at those files, they are nroff -ms source,
and then look at

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/bkdocs/UG/tmp

and you'll see the web version of the docs.  Which is pretty useful.
You've got all the .NH 1 headers in the table of contents down the
left side, and when you click one of them it shows you the .NH 2,
.NH 3 etc headers for just that section.

And if you go to

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/bkdocs/UG/tmp/map.html

you can get html versions of any .NH 1 section, or the entire thing as one
page.

It's a ~1700 line perl program (perl 4ish) and it has some ability to skin
the content.  Source in http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/bkdocs/UG/webroff