[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 03:39:59 AEST 2017

On 20 September 2017 at 12:46, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried running my own server on mcvoy.com but eventually gave up, the
>> spam filtering was a non-ending task.
>>

> I ran my own server for bsdimp.com and village.org form the early 90s
> until 2009 or so. I switched to gmail when I was seriously looking at
> dropping $10k for a server that had enough horse power to filter the
> 50k-75k spam I was getting a month at that time. Switching to google was
> easier and I didn't have to spend the $10k nor the 4 hours a week on the
> care and feeding of the black lists, etc.

This is essentially what happened when I was working at Oberlin College.
Around 2005-2006 we bought a dedicated appliance to handle spam (with
around 5000 active email addresses at any given time, it was a lot of spam)
but within less than a year it became completely overwhelmed and we needed
to upgrade to a much more powerful and expensive machine.  We switched to
Google Apps very shortly afterward and it saved countless hours on the back
end and provided a better experience to our users.  Initially I wasn't
particularly happy about the fact that we were no longer directly in
control of our mail, but the benefits far outweighed the drawbacks.

-Henry