[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Sep 21 04:21:31 AEST 2017

I'm running Sendmail (the 800 lb gorilla that I know) on multiple Linode
VPSs.  (I can highly recommend Linode.)

My email stack is fairly straightforward:

  - Sendmail + milters
     - ClamAV       - can reject email at SMTP time
     - OpenARC      - adds headers for SpamAssassin
     - OpenDKIM     - adds headers for SpamAssassin
     - OpenDMARC    - adds headers for SpamAssassin
     - SpamAssassin - can reject email at SMTP time
     - SPFmilter    - can reject email at SMTP time
  - JunkEmailFilter Project Tarbaby as a high order / low priority MX
  - Reverse Path IP filtering
     - Team Cymru Bogons
        - Full IPv4
        - Full IPv6
     - Spamhaus
        - Drop v4
        - eDrop v4
        - Drop v6
     - DShield

I also do the following, but they don't strictly impact inbound email
filtering.

  - I publish DNS records for
     - SPF w/ -all
     - DKIM
     - DMARC w/ strict rejections on all messages
  - DNSSEC signed zones & published DS records.
  - I recently added Sender Rewrite Scheme to my mail server.
     - I now host email for a friend that he wants forwarded
(unmodified) to Gmail.

On 09/20/2017 10:25 AM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> I tried running my own server on mcvoy.com but eventually gave up, the
> spam filtering was a non-ending task.

I may end up regretting saying this, but I don't think my spam problem
is nearly as bad as other people seem to have it.

> If someone has a plug and chug setup for MX I'd love to try it.

I've found my solution to be mostly maintenance free.

I do dabble, by choice, and recently wrote a proto MTA in Perl to
experiment with gray listing.

I also have > 2k lines of procmail recipes, but that's almost all for
filtering different addresses into the multiple hundreds of folders I
have in my personal email account.

Ask if you want any more details.

--
Grant. . . .