[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Sep 21 05:09:11 AEST 2017

On 09/20/2017 11:57 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> exim on a VPS.  Currently it is a linode running debian but I will have
> to find an outlet that supports BSD before systemd becomes unavoidable
> on debian, which I'm afraid is only a matter of time.

Hi Ian,

I'd strongly encourage you to reach out to Linode support (I've found
them very responsive and helpful) and ask about BSD.

I believe you can do a micro install of something on one vDisk and then
use that to boot strap install something else, possibly anything else.

I think I've even heard that you could get Windows installed via their
GUI web console.  -  So I expect that BSD should be fairly easy to do.

I personally am planing on resizing a couple of VMs to a larger size w/
more CPU & disk to do a Gentoo install from my old CentOS.  Then I'll
switch the boot disk, and ultimately remove CentOS & shrink back to the
current size.

So, don't give up on Linode yet.  I bet you that they have a way for you
to run BSD.

> spam is a problem but also a challenge ;-)

Agreed.  }:-)

> I'll never switch to gmail as my primary address.  The day when it's the
> only way is the day the Net dies, as I see it, and the day when I look
> for a different line of work (which maybe I should have done a while ago).

*salute*

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die