[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Steve Simon steve at quintile.net
Thu Sep 21 08:54:34 AEST 2017

My spam filtering is all plan9 based but the ideals are all portable.

Greylisting and delaying a few secs before starting the SMTP
conversation are my most successful filters, After this comes
SPF and using spamhaus to validate the senders IP.

I reject some silly domains like localhost.com and usernames like
user and test.

I also have a list of regexps which match the reverse dns
addresses of adsl blocks which catch many spam bots.

The regexps sound like a lot of work but I have some scripts to
analyse my logs and suggest  patterns, so its just a click or two
I can block somthing like:

	dhcp.[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+.adsl.nasty-isp.net

-Steve