[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Sep 21 10:55:31 AEST 2017

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017, Grant Taylor wrote:

> I thought I had heard reports that tar pitting, for the purpose of
> slowing spammers down, didn't achieve much.

Dunno, as I've never used it, but there are some clever tricks that can be
used to enforce RFC-compliancy (a lot of spamware is written by idiots who
don't understand the finer points of SMTP):

     Enforce proper DNS configuration e.g. must resolve etc, and must
     actually exist.

     Make 'em wait a few seconds before sending your own banner, and drop
     the connection if they send beforehand.

     Set up an enormous greeting banner (many long lines); there is nothing
     in the RFC that says it has to be a single short line.

These simple measures alone cut out most of the crap; the rest are handled
by various DNSBLs and my private access list.