[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Sep 21 15:30:10 AEST 2017

On 09/20/2017 10:14 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Didn't I just see you somewhere else? :-)

Probably.

> Yep; as I recall, the RFC line length is no more than 254 chars (I
> think), with no limit on the number of continuation lines.  Try
> connecting to my server at horsfall.org (I'll make you wait around 10
> seconds), then check out my RFC-compliant banner...  I'll keep an eye
> out for you in my logs :-)

Very interesting.

I want to figure out how to make a multi-line banner.  (In Sendmail.)

I feel like your greet_pause was more than 10 seconds, but so be it.
Still shouldn't be a problem.

> Check out www.horsfall.org/spamlog.pdf for a nice pretty graph; the
> rejects on "banner" is the purple one on the top; the "reject" line is
> the red one, and the "spam" line (stuff that gets through) is pink (for
> SPAM, geddit?).
>
> Note that many of the "banner" violations are from woodpeckers i.e. they
> keep trying until they either give up or I notice (and firewall them).

I've wondered about a more featureful syslog daemon that could pattern
match and watch for the log message for pre-greeting traffic, and
forward them to a script that would dynamically update an RBL.  I just
haven't found enough round-tuits yet.

> The tools behind this are still a work in progress, so I don't currently
> log the number of "wait" violations etc (it was implemented fairly
> recently).
>
> (And yes, my HTML programming sucks.)

Interesting work.  I'd be curious to see how you're doing some of that
and think about implementing it myself.

Thanks for sharing Dave.

--
Grant. . . .