[TUHS] Sockets and the true UNIX

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Fri Sep 22 02:01:12 AEST 2017

This question is motivated by the posters for whom FreeBSD is not Unix
enough :-)

Probably the best known contribution of the Berkeley branch of Unix is
the sockets API for IP networking.  But today, if for no other reason
than the X/Open group of standards, sockets are the preferred networking
API everywhere, even on true AT&T derived UNIX variants.  So they must
have been merged back at some point, or reimplemented.  My question is,
when and how did that happen?

And if there isn't a simple answer because it happened at different
times and in different ways for each variant, all the better :-)