[TUHS] Sockets and the true UNIX

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Sep 22 02:25:13 AEST 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> The STREAMS stuff never performed well

​Larry is being polite.   It sucked.​

​ It was never designed for it.  dmr designed Streams to replace the tty
handler.   I never understood  why the Summit guys insisted on forcing
networking into it.​

> and the BSD TCP stack or something
> ​ ​
> like it went into Solaris at some point.

​Right.   This is one of the places where SVR4 != Solaris

I was researching a book a long time ago and looked at this.  I had
Solaris, SVR4 and some other stuff at the time.  Like you bit rot has long
set in on the details, but I do remember that the primary thing that
Solaris had was support for Sun's threading model and the networking code
had to be a first class citizen ​or it was not going to scale.