[TUHS] Another "craft" discussion topic - mindless tool proliferation

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Sep 22 11:53:05 AEST 2017

On 2017-09-21 19:36, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 10:02:07AM +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Thursday, 21 September 2017 at 20:39:24 +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso
>> wrote:

>> > The problem being that even FreeBSD dropped them from the base
>> > system.
>>
>> There was a good reason for that.  To my recollection, they hadn't
>> been maintained At All, and they were decades out of date.  While they
>> were interesting for their historical content, as user/programmer
>> documentation they were useless at best and misleading or dangerous at
>> worst.
>
> That's really on the maintainers, it's a shame they haven't kept those
> up to date.  Either update them or add to them, there has to be
> something
> worth writing up.
>
> I used to *love* those manuals.

I still love those manuals.  The printed set of the BSD manuals were
some of the first books I ordered off the Internet back in the early
1990s.  Well worn, but still on my shelf.  I learned a lot from them,
including *roff from the URM docs.

I got excited when I first installed NetBSD on my Amiga 3000 and saw
that (most of) those docs were in the tree.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX