[TUHS] Excessive bouncing ... argh!

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Sun Sep 24 10:03:33 AEST 2017

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017, at 05:05, Grant Taylor wrote:
> So, receiving servers that are also running leading industry standard
> filters honor my settings and reject the messages that claim to be from
> me but do not come from my mail server.  -  Mailman naively interprets
> this as a bounce.
>
> Suffice it to say, that email server industry is changing and mailing
> lists are going to have to change to keep up with the times.

Do the standards provide a way to allow mailing lists (or other kinds of
forwarders) to get around this? Maybe by having the original mail server
digitally sign the message and allowing it to be forwarded with the
signature intact. It seems like this is an important use case; why has
it been overlooked? I assume it *has* been overlooked, because the
changes I've seen have mainly consisted of an increasing number of
mailing lists simply giving up and using their own address as the From
header when the sender has this security enabled. Yahoo is the biggest
offender I've noticed, on both ends - every message I receive from Yahoo
groups does this, as do messages from Python mailing lists originally
sent by Yahoo users. I haven't, incidentally, seen any email at all from
Yahoo users on this list.