[TUHS] UNIX of choice these days?

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sun Sep 24 23:46:29 AEST 2017

On Saturday, September 23, 2017, Steve Mynott <steve.mynott at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 23 September 2017 at 10:17, Dario Niedermann
> <dario at darioniedermann.it <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Il 20/09/2017 alle 02:39, Dave Horsfall ha scritto:
> >
> >> Definitely FreeBSD, because it's solid, has thousands of ports,
> >> and well, is BSD...
> >
> > I have been a user in the past, but I just can't forgive FreeBSD for
> > abandoning the proc filesystem  :-(
>
> procfs still exists in FreeBSD and can be added to fstab but isn't
> mounted by default after an install.
>
> Generally the BSDs (and OS X) don't seem to actively maintain procfs
> and it has been remove from OpenBSD.
>
> --
> 4096R/EA75174B Steve Mynott <steve.mynott at gmail.com <javascript:;>>

This is not true.  Procfs has been deprecated in FreeBSD since at
least 2012.

  https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/fs/procfs/procfs.c?view=log

And replacement for procfs is not sysctl, but rather ptrace(2).

  https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-February/010765.html

I am one of those that also did not like that.  There is some magical
simplicity in the way procfs is implemented -- it spells real UNIX to me.

--Andy