[TUHS] UNIX of choice these days?

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Mon Sep 25 19:58:23 AEST 2017

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017, Andy Kosela wrote:

> On Monday, September 25, 2017, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Sep 2017, Bakul Shah wrote:
>>
>> There are just a few potential users of /proc and they were already using
>>> other facilities. plus /proc is an optional facility. All this conspired to
>>> make /proc less useful in FreeBSD. Unused code is in danger of being
>>> garbage collected in FreeBSD :-)
>>>

>> Whatever happened to the Unix philosophy of everything looking like a
>> file?  Adding more system calls is the Windoze (or perhaps Penguin) way of
>> doing things.
>>

> Actually FreeBSD has much more system calls than Linux -- around 540 as
> compared to around 300 the last time I looked.
>
> To give a fair perspective -- both UNIX V7 and Plan 9 have around 50 system
> calls.
>
> And Windoze 7 has more than 700...
>
> --Andy

If I were designing an OS, only the bare minimum number of system calls
would be implemented in the kernel (stuff like open, close, seek, read,
write, and create/kill process) and everything else would be implemented
in library... I don't know how that would stack up against Unix in the
day, or *x these days, but I daresay it probably would have fewer system
calls than MS-DOS 2.0.

-uso.