[TUHS] RFS was: Re: UNIX of choice these days?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Sep 29 00:07:00 AEST 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 07:49:17AM -0600, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling at kev009.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess alternatively, what was interesting or neat, about RFS, if
> > anything?  And what was bad?
>
> Good: Stateful implementation, remote devices worked.

I'd argue that stateful is really hard to get right when machines panic
or reboot.  Maybe you can do it on the client but how does one save all
that state on the server when the server crashes?

NFS seems simple in hindsight but like a lot of things, getting to that
simple wasn't chance, it was designed to be stateless because nobody
had a way to save the state in any reasonable way.