[TUHS] Bill Joy was: Re: RFS

Forrest, Jon nobozo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 03:58:48 AEST 2017

On 9/28/2017 10:12 AM, Steve Johnson wrote:
> I remember Bill Joy visiting Bell Labs and getting a very complete demo of RFS
> and being very impressed.  Within a year, Sun announced NFS.  It took USG 18
> months after that to get RFS out the door.  Just another example of how AT&T
> could take a technical advantage and manage to squander it...

Speaking of Bill Joy, I remember going to a Unix group meeting at SRI sometime
in late 1977 or early 1978. I was working for Ford Aerospace, an early
commercial Unix adopter. I don't remember who was speaking, but at the end of
the talk somebody from the back of the auditorium asked a very deep
intelligent question. The person speaking was quite taken back by the quality
of the question, and asked who the person was. The person said "I'm Bill Joy,
a graduate student at Berkeley".

The rest is history.

Jon