[TUHS] long lived programs

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Apr 7 11:09:36 AEST 2018

On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 09:01:44PM -0400, Paul Winalski wrote:
> Last year I bought two 4 TB drives for backing up my home computer.
> As I walked to the check-out, it occurred to me that I was holding in
> my hands over a thousand times the entire disk capacity of the world
> at the time I started in the industry.

Yeah, it's crazy.  When I was doing my first sys admin job it was on a
Masscomp that had a 40MB disk for 20 people.  We made it work.

I believe someone announced a 40TB SSD, nope, just looked, Seagate announced
a 60TB SSD in 2016.  WTF, that's a huge drive for rotating, that's insane
for SSD.

We old farts live in interesting times.

--lm