[TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Apr 8 01:21:10 AEST 2018

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 12:54 AM, Rudi Blom <rudi.j.blom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just had a look at RFC-1, my first look ever. First thing I noticed is
> the enormous amount of abbreviations one is assumed to be able to
> instantly place :-)
>
> So looking up IMP for instance the wiki page gives me this funny titbit
>
> "When Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy learned of BBN's
> accomplishment in signing this million-dollar agreement, he sent a
> telegram congratulating the company for being contracted to build the
> "Interfaith Message Processor"."
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_Message_Processor

​A small suggestion, instead of trying to piecemeal it together here; to
all if you have not yet read (but certainly to newer and maybe younger
readers of this list since I think this was late 1990s), please go find a
copy of Katie Hafner's: Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of The
Internet <https://www.amazon.com/Where-Wizards-Stay-Up-Late/dp/0684832674> .
Many and more of these interesting facts can be found.

It's a great read and I can say, a large number of the parts I lived and
knew specifically about, pretty much follow the way I remembered it.  There
are things left out, and some other good stories not there [Dave Clark does
not get enough credit in my opinion or in the infamous milkshake spilled
into the CMU IMP].  But, the mail header wars are well handled.  And
certainly the road to the ARPAnet, then to the Internet itself is pretty
thoroughly examined.

Clem

ᐧ