[TUHS] /dev/drum

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Apr 21 02:45:50 AEST 2018

    > From: Warner Losh

    > Drum memory stopped being a new thing in the early 70's.

Mid 60's. Fixed-head disks replaced them - same basic concept, same amount of
bits, less physical volume. Those lasted until the late 70's - early PDP-11
Unixes have drivers for the RF11 and RS0x fixed-head disks.

The 'fire-hose' drum on the GE 645 Multics was the last one I've heard
of. Amusing story about it here:

  http://www.multicians.org/low-bottle-pressure.html

Although reading it, it may not have been (physically) a drum.

    > There never was a drum device, at least a commercial, non-lab
    > experiment, for the VAXen. They all swapped to spinning disks by then.

s/spinning/non-fixed-head/.

	Noel