[TUHS] /dev/drum

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Apr 24 05:09:00 AEST 2018

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>   Speaking of fixed-head disks, one of the Bell systems used (IIRC) an RS04
> fixed-head disk for the root. DEC apparently only used that disk for
> swapping
> in their OS's... So the DEC diagnsotics felt free to scribble on the disk.
> So, Field Circus comes in to work on the machine... Ooops!

​teklabs 11/70 the RS04 was /tmp    not quite an dangerous as root, but
since the fs got wiped out the system would not boot - as it would fail
trying to mount /tmp.

IIRC the it was the field exerciser that did that by default.   I seem to
remember that you could configure it to use something else like the field
service pack itself or may be not disk at all, but if I remember right if
the exerciser found an RS04 it thought it was available by default.   So, I
had a big sticker on the FS pack that said see me before you loaded it
after the first time the service guys took out /tmp.
ᐧ