[TUHS] 3330s, 3340s, Winchesters... (was: /dev/drum)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Apr 24 13:28:30 AEST 2018

On Monday, 23 April 2018 at 17:27:29 -0400, Clem Cole wrote:

> As disks dropped a little cheaper and having more than one RP06
> became possible (RP06 aka IBM 3330 - project Winchester

You're confusing the 3330 with the 3340: the latter was the
Winchester, the first disk with an HDA.  The 3330 was the old-style
disk pack in a cheese bell.  A variant (apparently not from IBM; CDC
maybe?) of the same disk pack stored 300 MB, and we used a lot of them
at Tandem in the 1970s and early 1980s.  I suppose they were pretty
widespread.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.