[TUHS] /dev/drum

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Apr 24 14:32:26 AEST 2018

On 04/23/2018 05:44 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> But this whole optimization for swap based on transfer speeds makes no
> sense to me. The dominating factor in spinning rust is seek times, and
> not transfer speed. If you place the swap at one end of the disk, it
> won't matter much that transfers will be faster, as seek times will on
> average be much longer, and that will eat up any transfer gain ten times
> over before even thinking. (Unless all your disk ever does is swapping,
> at which time the heads can stay around the swapping area all the time.)

I wonder if part of the (perceived?) performance gain was from the
likelihood that swap at one end of the drive meant that things could be
contiguous.  Seek, lay down / pick up a large (or at least not small)
number of sectors, and seek back.

I had always assumed that the outer edge (what I thought was the end of
the disk) was faster than the inner edge (what I thought was the
beginning of the disk) because of geometry.  However, as Ronald stated,
hard drives were constant angular density.  Thus negating what I
originally thought about speed.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die