[TUHS] VAX dates (was /dev/drum)

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 21:58:23 AEST 2018

On 4/22/18, Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> BTW if you want to be correct about dates - the DEC released the Vax in 76
> not 78 ( I personally used to program Vax serial #1 at CMU under VMS 1.0
> before I was at UCB which is what Dan had asked).

As I remember it, DEC announced the VAX in 1976 or 1977, and first
official customer ship didn't happen until 1978.  Holy Cross had one
of the hardware beta machines in 1977.  It ran a beta version of VMS
(version X0.5 initially).  I ported a bunch of programs to the VAX,
including the PDP-10 version of Adventure.

-Paul W.