[TUHS] /dev/drum

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Thu Apr 26 09:01:37 AEST 2018

This is what we did at Fortune Systems for our 68k based v7 system.
There was an external “mmu” which added a base value to a 16 bit virtual
address to compute a physical address. And compared against a limit.
There were four base,limit pairs that you had to rewrite to context switch:
Text, data, spare and stack. At a minimum the system shipped with 256KB
so you could have a number of processes memory resident. You swapped
out a complete segment when you ran out of space.

I imagine other 16bit word size machines of that era used similar schemes.