[TUHS] /dev/drum

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sat Apr 28 08:41:07 AEST 2018

On 2018-04-26 04:00, jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu  (Noel Chiappa) wrote:
>      > From: Johnny Billquist
>
>      > if you hadn't had the ability for them to be less than 8K, you wouldn't
>      > even try that argument.
>
> Well, the 1972 edition of the -11/45 processor handbook called them segments..:-)

I think we had this argument before as well. It would be nice if you
actually could point out where this is the case. I just went through
that 1973 PDP-11/45 handbook, and all it says are "page" everywhere I look.
I also checked the 1972 PDP-11/40 handbook, and except for one mention
of "segment" in the introduction part of the handbook, which is not even
clear if it actually specifically refers to the MMU capabilities, that
handbook also use the word "page" everywhere.

I also checked the PDP-11/20 handbook, but that one does not even cover
any MMU, so no mention of neither "page" nor "segment" can be found.

> I figure some marketing droid found out that 'paging' was the new buzzword, and
> changed the name...:-)  :-)

Somehow I doubt it, but looking forward to your references... :-)

   Johnny