[TUHS] In Memoriam: Edsger Dijkstra, and happy birthday Jon Postel!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Aug 6 10:04:17 AEST 2018

What a weird day...

We lost computer pioneer Edsger Dijkstra in 2002; he gave us ALGOL,
structured programming, semaphores, and ranted against the GOTO statement
(much to the distress of the Fortranites and their spaghetti coding).
Oh, and a certain Prof. Goto used to complain that everybody wanted to
eliminate him :-)

However, we gained Jon Postel in 1943; with umpteen RFCs to his name, he
could pretty much be described as the Father of the Internet.