[TUHS] Origins of shell prompt suffixes % $ > #

ron at ronnatalie.com ron at ronnatalie.com
Tue Aug 7 11:10:28 AEST 2018

I suspect it was Steve’s personal preference on the Bourne shell.   There’s next to no comments in the thing and the document on the shell just mentions the defaults and that you can change it.

Just for completeness, the PWBSH appears to allow the prompt to be changed with a command line argument.

We used to have a shell called “uu” at Hopkins which was sort of a prehistoric “sudo” that ran certain commands (icheck/dcheck/etc…) as root while setting back to the regular uid for others.  It used “@ “ for a prompt.