[TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 33, Issue 5

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Tue Aug 7 07:19:31 AEST 2018

I take a somewhat more relaxed view of what a spec should be:
It should describe a program with enough completeness that a competent
programmer could write it from the spec alone.
Each section of the spec should be capable of being tested.
If all the tests for all the sections pass, then the program is ready
for general use.

The formal systems I have seen would roll over and die when presented
with
even a simple compiler.  Additionally, being able to specify that a
particular
function be carried out by a heapsort, for example, would require that
the
formalism could describe the heapsort and prove it correct.  These
don't
grow on trees...

Steve