[TUHS] C++ / Kernel

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:58:43 AEST 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 6:17 PM <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Void* came out with the V7 compiler, if I recall properly.   The BSD kernel
> looks as if it requires such a later compiler (it uses bit fields which the
> earlier compilers didn't support).
> But it doesn't matter.   You are right char* (or caddr_t) would work just
> fine for this albeit with some explicit casting.

This appears to be incorrect, unfortunately. I just tested on the PDP-11/70
running 7th Edition at the Living Computer Museum (I've got an account
there) and it appears that neither `cc` nor `pcc` understand `void`.

Perhaps Steve Johnson can chime in on this? I suspect he'd know the history
here well.

        - Dan C.