[TUHS] changes in C compilers

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Fri Aug 24 17:02:51 AEST 2018

My two cents, ...

> From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 20:30:19 -0400
> To: ron at ronnatalie.com
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] C++ / Kernel
>
> Yep.  Im pretty sure I remember void being in typesetter C also.   IIRC the
> differences between that version of Dennis???s compiler and what was included
> in 7th Edition was mostly in the libraries ie stdio was first released as
> part of the typesetter compiler but it was still a work in progress.

K&R 1 did not have void or structure assignment. Those came later,
although I'm not sure when.  They may have been mentioned in an
appendix; my copy isn't handy to check.

At what point did each struct become its own namespace? I think
around the time of K&R1.

> From: Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 22:52:24 -0400
> To: Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] C++ / Kernel

> The big changes to the language were between 6th Edition and Typesetter
> which were done in concert if not to support Brian???s work on the troff
> rewrite.  Plus the first draft of book was being written around then also.

The troff rewrite was later, circa '81 or so. Definitely NOT in the
V6/V7 timeframe.

Arnold