[TUHS] changes in C compilers

John P. Linderman jpl.jpl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 08:19:05 AEST 2018

*Ted took fsck back to Summit & MH*

I got my introduction to UNIX in '73 or '74, when the group running the
11/45 in Piscataway found out I came into work before 6am. UNIX was so
unstable back then that it had to be rebooted every day, to contain file
system corruption. A 6 am reboot went pretty much unnoticed. I could swear
we ran something very like fsck after each reboot. In particular, I recall
the **gok** diagnostic when the type of an inode wasn't anything
recognizable. Whatever we ran, I'm sure it continued to evolve.