[TUHS] Research UNIX on the AT&T 3B2?

Theodore Y. Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Wed Aug 29 13:23:10 AEST 2018

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:06:05AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> What really blew my gasket is that "stty -f" on *BSD is "stty -F" on
> Penguin/OS, despite them copying every other flag.

I'm pretty sure the addition of "stty -f" and "stty -F" is a fairly
late innovation.  i.e., it wasn't there when Linux "copied" stty's
user interface.

In BSD 4.3 and early Linux (which is when I still was maintaining
Linux's serial driver) you always had to do:

	stty dec < /dev/ttyS0

Really, why did those young whippersnappers had to add an option, when
redirection worked perfectly well and required one less character to
type?  :-)

					- Ted