[TUHS] cat -v and other complaints

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Thu Aug 30 12:43:59 AEST 2018

AIX takes a lot of shit but there were (and still are) some areas it
was quite a bit ahead of its time.

I haven't used the ROMP 2.0 version that would have been on the IBM
RT.. on my search and todo list.  This is interesting because it ran
under a hypervisor.

The 1.x version for x86 PS/2s is basically Locus.  I don't like it.  I
think it was also used as a common port base for AIX/370  You can run
1.x in VirtualBox with some careful instructions.  I'm the canonical
source for all this at http://ps-2.kev009.com/aixps2/

But the 3.x version released with POWER/RS6000 in 1990 had a fully
pagable kernel, loadable kernel modules[1], logical volume management
and disk mirroring, an object oriented thing called the ODM which is
probably extremely controversial but a pretty nice for providing
KPI/KBI/API compatibility for drivers and subsystems and configuration
thereof.  It's a good mix of BSD and interesting to see how that was
accomplished https://technologists.com/sauer/Convergence_of_AIX_and_4.3BSD.pdf

[1] http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/rs6000/aix_3.0/SC23-2207-0_Kernel_Extensions_and_Device_Support_Programming_Concepts_Mar90.pdf
See for instance page 6-10

Regards,