[TUHS] SunOS code?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Aug 31 06:37:47 AEST 2018

below...

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 3:41 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Clem Cole
>
>     > The problem is finding some at Oracle that would care
>
> Well, I've got a nephew who's been at Oracle for like 20+ years; he can
> probably point us at the right person.
>
>     > and finding a proper distribution tape to officially release.
>
> Why do we need that? Can't they say 'any and all versions of SunOS', and
> that
> term ('SunOS') is sufficiently well defined in real-world documents (e.g.
> Sun
> licenses) that that should be 'good enough'.
>
> Two issues:  1.) what consitutes release X or Y and 2) sublicenses.

For the former, Sun did have source distributions, typically for
Universities and certain OEMs.  Stellar had a 4.x license for the Sun3s but
I can not tell you which one (we used Sun3's as the porting base and wanted
the basic Sun3 support from SunOS to support it as we developed Stellix).
 For the later, we need to make sure you have the whole thing.   Most OEM's
had stuff from other firms, from compilers to whole subsystems.
ᐧ