[TUHS] Happy birthday, John Backus!

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 06:59:46 AEST 2018

On 12/4/18, Paul Winalski <paul.winalski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the years GEM was targeted to MIPS, PRISM, Alpha, and Itanium
> machine architectures, and VMS, Unix, Linux, and Windows NT operating
> systems.  We were working on x86 when Compaq sold the Alpha
> architecture and its engineering team (including GEM) to Intel.

I forgot one:  Tandem NonStop OS on Alpha, which was under development
at Compaq at the time that Compaq decided to sell off the Alpha
technology to Intel.  The Tandem stuff was retargeted to Itanium.  We
GEM folks lost track of Tandem at that time, so I don't know what back
end HP is using for the NonStop on Itanium product.

-Paul W.