[TUHS] man-page style

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Dec 5 07:34:52 AEST 2018

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 08:26:29AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> >As a systems guy I think if you have not written, or understood, swtch(),
> >you are not a systems guy.
>
> Ahh, line 2238...

I dunno what line it is, I'm guessing that's the # for the Lions book?

I learned swtch() because I wrote a userland thread library for Udi Manber
as a grad student (yield based as I recall).  I'd never really thought
about it hard, yeah, did all the CS toy OS stuff but I don't think they
made us write that.  I loved writing it, I did a super minimal one that
had the bulk of the work in C, just did the save/restore in asm.

It's just so satisying to go in as one process and come out as the
other (and annoying when some idiot used floating point - who does
that?  Cough, Clem, cough.  and you realize you didn't save/restore
fp registers :)