[TUHS] DEC compilers (was Happy birthday, John Backus!)

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:26:09 AEST 2018

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 at 13:01, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure which languages did eventually get supported and on which
> versions of Ultrix.  But once Paul's lk was released (and you can still
> find it in /bin on the base Ultrix distributions), you did indeed see a
> number of the languages move to Ultrix.  I think for the Vax it was just
> VAX/11C, Fortran and Pascal.  I think Ultrix11 may have gotten Fortran, but
> as I said; I don't remember.  I do remember the TIG folks talking about a
> PL/1 project and a proposal for Cobol and RP/G because some of the Wall
> Street types wanted them, but I don't remember any of those getting
> released (that said, I was also not watching things Vaxen by that time).
>  By the time I came back to Ultrix to do the MIPS 4000 stuff a few years
> later, tech languages offerings were different and the GEM compilers had
> come on the scene.

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/vax/ultrix-32/4.0_Jun90/AA-MG63B-TE_ULTRIX_Technical_Summary_Jun90.pdf
seems to imply that as of Ultrix 4.0, there were COBOL and Ada compilers
for the VAX (Table 4-1).  Elsewhere VAX LISP for Ultrix is mentioned, which
I had no idea existed.  I hope that these compilers have been preserved
somewhere, as I imagine they sold in relatively small quantities.

-Henry