[TUHS] 2.9bsd with networking on 18-bit possible?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Dec 12 04:03:27 AEST 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:57 AM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > we must have added PTY's of some sort
>
> There is indeed a PTY driver; it has comments from BBN'ers who edited it,
> so
> perhaps we got it from BBN.

Hmm, I could be mis remembering, but IIRC the original PTY driver goes back
to the Rand and/or UofI for the NCP.  I suspect BBN got it from the Bruce
Borden's Rand distribution tape which was 74 or 75, I think.  Named Piped
were definiately a Rand-ism (they were originally called 'Rand Pipes') and
were on that tape along with their Editor.

It's too bad Greg is not here to ask.    My memory and Noel may know by the
IMP release dates, is that Rand was on connected before UofI.  But there
were issues and somethings were not 100% until the UofI NCP; which was the
first really complete NCP for UNIX.    I'm pretty sure that Greg's version
went back to Bruce, as well as to BBN and Harvard and I would have assumes
MIT also.

I don't remember if the original Rand Pipes and PTYs were 5th or 6th
edition originally.   I'm fairly sure, UofI's NCP was 6th edition but think
that Rand goes back to at least 5th if not 4th.
ᐧ