[TUHS] 2.9bsd with networking on 18-bit possible?

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 11:20:51 AEST 2018

Man, this thread is really going!  Excellent to see; thank you, all!

I'm going to of course begin with what Clem and others suggested and do it
on a simh 11/45 initially to try to get the needed tcp stuff compiled in.
In looking at
https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2.9BSD/usr/net/sys/net/NOTES
, it's mentioned that

>>> The 4K bytes of in address malloc space for dynamic structures is ok
for an
>>> I/D machine, but may be tight on a /34 or /23.  Not sure yet whether
this
>>> will squeeze in.

, so it feels like there's hope that it can be done.  Lots of rereading and
research for me to get to the point of completely understanding that NOTES
file.

Anyway, I'm going to try and get a simh instance up somewhere publicly
accessible (will provide creds to those curious / interested) and see where
I get stuck.  Will be back with more questions!  Thanks again for the
initial engagement on this!

jake

P.S.  I do have a Xylogics Annex "terminal server" that'd be a great front
end to the real 11/45's serial lines as Clem suggested, but for me, the
romance of having the machine truly speaking tcp as intended is one of the
goals.  I'll keep the Annex handy for when it's running SysV and other
things that definitively can't speak tcp.