[TUHS] Deleted lib1 and lib2 in v6, recoverable?

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Mon Dec 31 16:57:26 AEST 2018

Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

> Nowadays ranlib is no longer a separate program: ar
> recognizes object files and maintains an index if any are
> present.  I never especially liked that; ar is in
> principle a general tool so why should it have a special
> case for one type of file?

I'll agree with that. My first exposure to ar was from the version
in Software Tools. I was suprised to learn at some point that it
understood object file formats.

>  But in practice I don't know
> anyone who uses ar for anything except libraries any more

I know one person. Brian Kernighan maintains an archive of his awk test
suite using ar.  Or rather, he did until recently, when I got him to
move to using tar a few months ago. :-)

Arnold