[TUHS] Dynamics between BSD and Linux

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Fri Feb 2 16:36:48 AEST 2018

Van Jacobsen did most of his ?ESNET? funded work on TCP/IP on BSD. He
was associated with Berkeley. When BSD fragmented and there were 3,
getting traction for rapid adoption of IP stack changes became hard.
He worked on his suite of Mbone tools for a while, then gave up.

He popped up again around the time codel was beginning, with random
early drop (RED) changes, and they made BSD. But, things began to be
released in linux kernels faster. BBR was a killer moment: its out in
all modern Linux. Its barely adopted in FreeBSD, and the issues around
BBR, Codel, models are being chained into the floor by interminable
discussions (I am possibly wrong here, but this is the sense I get)

Three or four smart guys at Swinburne were working on a really nice
agile stack for IP changes in BSD. THey lost funds and traction and
the team is now at Netflix.

FQ-Codel aimed to home routers. Home routers for some reason are linux
down the line. I also don't understand this: NetBSD would have been a
fine model for tiny memory footprint SoC but somehow, it just didn't
work out that way. Likewise the PI. I know NetBSD works, but somehow,
its not on the main release cycle of the PI people. Its sideline.

NAS people still like BSD. I think a lot of Open Source NAS projects
wanted better underlying Disk IO models than Linux had, and ZFS, but
now ZFS is in Linux.. I think the writing might be on the wall there.

Juniper was (I believe) very BSD friendly. I don't know now. Was.