[TUHS] Dynamics between BSD and Linux

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Feb 3 01:46:15 AEST 2018

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 8:29 AM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 04:07:06PM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> > Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> >  |Here's a personal example of the differences.  When I was looking at
> >  |working with Netflix I emailed McKuisik to ask him about some UFS
> stuff.
> >  |And this was me, I know Kirk, I've been to his house, had wine with him
> >  |and Eric.  No reply.  Ok, I'm old and washed up, I get it.
> >
> > Even though i have read your message as a maybe even ironic
> > sharpening, i feel i have to step in and find this hard to
> > believe.  Maybe there have been technical reasons.
>
> I didn't really mean to shine a light on Kirk, I like Kirk, I'm one of
> the few people besides Kirk to work on UFS.

There's about a dozen. They talk. Even Kirk. But you can't expect people
whose time is their own to reply to you on a short timeline. It's not a
reasonable expectation.

That said, I stand by what I said, it's what happened.  And it seems to
> be reflective of the BSD "culture", it appears to be the opposite of
> inclusive.  Disappointing.

I've had a completely different experience. But when people don't answer, I
ask again. I just just go off and sulk that they were mean to me.

> Linux has a very different culture.  Everyone is welcome and they
> maintain sanity largely via Linus willing to call a spade a spade.
> He doesn't suffer fools but he's willing to engage with anyone until
> they prove themselves to be a fool and nothing more.

Sure, if you love a toxic culture that's hard to break through the machismo
when the anointed ones are wrong....

Needless to say, I have a completely different perspective and
two-decades-long experience with BSD and its collaboration.

Warner