[TUHS] Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sun Feb 4 11:07:18 AEST 2018

> That's the second endorsement I've seen for Go; I guess I should learn it.

In the scheme of "current" languages, Go is pretty good.  With two major
caveats, IMO:

1) The build system.  It doesn't work with make(1).  That makes it a
non-starter for anything other than trivial projects at $WORK.  While I
appreciate the arguments for the apparent simplicity of the "go" command,
that doesn't work for us.  Which would have been fine, but for the
entirely antagonistic bent they have taken against being able to build Go
programs with make(1).  Our build environment entirely precludes Go's
promiscuous insistence on unfettered internet access, and hardwired
directory paths.

2) Hardwired directory paths for the development/build environment (see
above).

It seems they have unlearned all the UNIX lessons.  Sad, really.  I would
love to toss out Python, Ruby, PHP, Perl, et al.  And could make the
argument for it, I think.  But the build environment will never work in
our shop, therefore Go won't either.

And that ... sucks.