[TUHS] Windows roots and Unix influence (was Re: Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!)

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Mon Feb 5 08:22:59 AEST 2018

On Sunday, February 4, 2018, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> On 2018-02-04 3:05 PM, Dan Cross wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com
> > <mailto:ron at ronnatalie.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     > None of these APIs is native to NT, they're implemented on top of
> it.
> >     > I think only at boot you can run code that uses the NT API
> directly.
> >     Amusingly, I have a device in my airplane that runs NT4 without any
> >     Windows
> >     graphical API on it.   You can see the thing printing the NT4
> >     startup and
> >     build number when you power it on and it will BSOD.
> >

> > BSOD on an airplane? That sounds kind of scary.
> >
> > One time I was poking around a US Navy landing craft after coming off an
> > amphibious assault ship and somehow found myself down in the engine
> > room. The computer controlling either the engines or the screws was
> > running some variant of Windows. It wasn't my bailiwick at the time (I
> > was a Marine officer; I wasn't even *supposed* to be there ... but I was
> > curious and pretty much had the run of the boat as long as I didn't
> > touch anything) but it sort of scared me.
>
> You might remember this:
> https://www.wired.com/1998/07/sunk-by-windows-nt/

I like the following part from this article:

"Vendors including Oracle, Informix, and Computer Associates have
_recently_ announced plans to support Linux".

No mention of *BSD systems which were also open source at the time.

This was the beginning of the decline of *BSD systems in the server market
and it was 20 years ago.  Things went much more downhill since then...

--Andy