[TUHS] Windows roots and Unix influence (was Re: Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!)

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Mon Feb 5 13:35:09 AEST 2018

I'm serious.   The thing never gets to the login screen (and I'm quite familiar with it, I was a beta NT user when it was first released.    The fact that it asked you to type CTL-ALT-DEL to login was so bizarre I took a photo of the screen).

The thing gets the "blue" start up screen with the build number (oddly, on my unit the video screen is upside down as far as NT is concerned so it's upside down).   While the software that runs under NT which is the heart of the system hides everything else, I have seen it blue screen on a few occasions.

I've looked at the file system it boots off.   Not much there.