[TUHS] Windows roots and Unix influence (was Re: Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!)

William Cheswick ches at cheswick.com
Mon Feb 5 23:48:00 AEST 2018

> On 4Feb 2018, at 10:40 PM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If by BSOD you mean, "Blue Screen of Death", which was NT's crash-dump indicator then yes: I'm totally serious. I'd find a computer crashing on an airplane frightening (I mean, I'm imagining that it does something important).

Save design would have the plane controls on a completely air-gapped network from the
entertainment stuff.  I was told that they don’t, because the captain needs to be able to
stop the entertainment system during an announcement.  I could build them a very simple gateway
that transmits UDP packets in one direction only, that would meet this, and related needs.

There have been hacks of the avionics reported from the entertainment network.  It is scary,
if true, and bush league IMO.