[TUHS] Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 08:54:57 AEST 2018

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Feb 2018, Andy Kosela wrote:
>
> I am well aware of that, but ironically Intel did not even informed Andrew
>> about it... No one in the MINIX community was aware of that.
>>

> And AndrewT was reportedly pissed off when he found that the ME could
> actually snoop on (and respond to) network traffic etc without the OS even
> being aware of it; apparently the ME hooks into the NIC...

Speaking of things like that...This just landed in my inbox:

http://www.mymtaalerts.com/m?78F2F

The metrocard vending machines in the NYC subway are little PCs. I could
swear I've seen either an OS/2, Windows, or Linux startup sequence on one
or more of them before (maybe all three).
Anyway, what do you want to bet that the MTA is making people go around
with media and manually install updates for Spectre/Meltdown across the
transit system?

        - Dan C.