[TUHS] Windows roots and Unix influence (was Re: Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!)

Charles Anthony charles.unix.pro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 09:10:05 AEST 2018

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 1:57 PM, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> I've not seen that in an airplane.   I'd like a cite.

comp.risks:

Interconnection of Three Previously Separated Networks in Boeing 737

Joe Loughry <joe.loughry at stx.ox.ac.uk>

Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:06:37 +0000

"Special Conditions" refers to the fact that certification rules haven't

kept pace. The three network domains (aircraft control, operator

information, and passenger entertainment) used to run on physically separate

wires, primarily for historical reasons, but having obvious engineering

benefits as well. In recent years, first the computers and now the networks

have migrated to virtual machine separation on shared hardware, for the

equally obvious space, weight, and power savings. The *Federal Register*

rule published this week mentions interconnection between at least two of

the three domains; I hope they paid close attention to UC Berkeley's

"Experimental Security Analysis of a Modern Automobile" (2010).

> https://federalregister.gov/a/2014-13244

> Source: "Special Conditions: The Boeing Company, Models 737-700, -700C,

-800, -900ER, -7, -8, and -9 Series Airplanes; Airplane Electronic Systems

Security Protection From Unauthorized External Access" [*Federal Register*

vol. 79, no. 109, June 6, 2014, pp. 32640-32641].

> Joe Loughry, Doctoral Student in the Department of Computer Science

St Cross College, Oxford

and

Banned Researcher Commandeered a Plane (Kim Zetter)