[TUHS] Windows roots and Unix influence (was Re: Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Wed Feb 7 00:52:55 AEST 2018

Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
 |On Mon, 5 Feb 2018, William Cheswick wrote:
 |> There have been hacks of the avionics reported from the entertainment
 |> network.  It is scary, if true, and bush league IMO.
 |
 |There's certainly been demonstrations of vehicles being taken over via the
 |entertainment system; why the stereo needs to talk to the engine computer

I have seen fly-by i think two CVE announcements for BMW.
I can only find one format-string related one via search engine.

 |I'll never know...  I know, wind up the volume the faster you go etc, but
 |surely it ought to be one-way?

Truly hate that; that job used to be fun with craftsmanship rather
than plugging in a service computer and reading error logs.
I never will forget that film about Rolls Royce in the 80s: one
man, his hammer, a small table with tea right beside the working
place, and three days of work to get a single fender.
I wonder how this will end up when 3-D printers can produce
furniture, clothes, houses and all that.  No real work to be done
anymore, and i do not like Harley-Davidson for having some real
work to do.  (New Moto Guzzi also have CAN-bus i think.)

--steffen