[TUHS] Why BSD didn't catch on more, and Linux did

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 08:13:51 AEST 2018

IMO:
1) It kinda did catch on, in the form of macOS, but there was a time
when it was nearly dead as the major vendors moved to System V.  For
some reason, Sun was the last major vendor to make the move, but they
caught most of the flack.
2) I think the main reason BSD nearly died, was the AT&T lawsuit.  At
the time, Linux appeared to be a safer bet legally.
3) Linux got a reputation as an OS you had to be an expert to install,
so lots of people started it to install it to "prove themselves".
This was sort of true back when Linux came as 2 floppy images, but
didn't remain true for very long.
4) I believe the SCO lawsuit "against Linux" was too little, too late
to kill Linux's first mover advantage in the opensource *ix
department.
5) I think FreeBSD's ports and similar huge-source-tree approaches
didn't work out as well Linux developers contributing their changes
upstream.